Registering MIME types

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Tue Jul 14 08:18:54 EDT 1998

I found that when I added ntscript files with a .prg extension, to the Alpha
NT WEB server, the browser would only pickit up as a text file until I added
it to the mime.types file as you have already done.  So, a few questions:

1. Did you edit the correct mime.types file?
    I 've found two so far on my server one in the adminserv directory
    and one in the http-server directory.

2. Is your syntax correct?
    For the ntscript program and prg extension I used the following
    where x- means "experimental" not a standard file type.
    type= application/x-ntscript                    exts=prg

    I don't know if Apache syntax may be different.

3. I assume you are using M$ Windows not X-Windows, so what type
    of batch programming are you refering to,WinBatch, DOS batch files,
    or some other Window or DOS batch scripting?

4. Did you restart the server?

Hope this might shed some light.

Thomas

Angus Waddell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on how to fully register
> a new mime type within a domain. I am trying to launch some applications
> from the web using some windows batch programming, and it works if I use
> one of the currently registered types - but this is not desirable for
> distribution. We are running apache on a sun box. I have tried adding the
> line to a file called mime.types but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Gus

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received