Web-site Development Tools

Shelden DeVained templar_7 at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 22 20:46:10 EDT 1998

Luisa:
  I am involved in an enormus Distence Learning Web site for Polytechnic
University.  It will include an online reference desk, chat room, topic
forums, online homework handin, help desk, and a chat room monitored by
the profesor or a senior student.  We are doing this as a pilot project,
and depending on the results, the University hopes to implement it on a
wider scale.
  We are doing all the code by hand.  Why?  Greater control of the site,
plain and simple.  My part is the design of the site.  I do all the code
in Notebook on WinNT.  We are using DHTML (Dynamic Hyper Text Markup
Language).  This form of HTML enables elements on the web site to move,
or perform various tasks without requesting further files from the web
server. It also lets one have greater control of the placement of page
elements. In addition to this we are using CSS (Cascading style sheets).
The CSS saves time in the hand coding! Its a file that dictates the
style for the site without having to continualy rewrite the code in each
file. We are also employing CGI and Javascript.  This is not my part of
the project, but this too is being coded by hand (its the code for the
forums and chat rooms, ect).
  I also designed a web site for Suffolk County Community College's
Academic Computing Center. This site is not up yet, but will be by fall.
I used Frontpage98.  Its a great program; it makes the work so much
easier and fun!  I am sure there is a Mac version.  The only really time
consuming part was learning the program.
  I recommend 'Teach yourself Dynamic HTML in 7 days', published by
SamsNet (http://www.mcp.com).  There is a companion web site for the
book.  Finally, the Internet is loaded with resources for DHTML.
Good luck and let us know of your results!

>From web4lib at library.berkeley.edu Tue Jul 21 08:05:07 1998
>Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:03:08 -0700
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: slak at infohouse.com (Slak)
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Web-site Development Tools
>
>I was wondering if any web librarians on this list could recommend any
web
>development tools that they use.  I would especially appreciate hearing
if
>anybody is still just hand coding, and their justification for doing
so.

>I will be taking a course next semester for my MLS called "Applied
>Technology Applications."  Part of that course includes an introduction
>html and website design.
>
>I am in the planning stages (content developement) of a personal
website
>and am working on a Macintosh, a platform that I don't believe is
overly
>utilized in library land.  However I am interested how other librarians
>compose their sites.
>
>Thanks
>Luisa Sabin-Kildiss
>
>Aigars Kildiss