mouse welfare

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jul 22 17:33:35 EDT 1998

> I thought the response from the animal welfare groups was a
> joke at first
> but it seems to be from a legitimate site.  How is it possible
> for a group
> to monitor email messages and post cautionary messages like this?  Does
> anybody else find this outrageous?   Can someone explain how it
> is done?  I
> realize they have some software that looks for certain keywords
> but how do
> they gain access to the "air waves" and what is to prevent a political
> group from doing the same thing?

Well, this is a public forum.  Anyone with e-mail can "listen in" simply
by subscribing; there's no rule that says they need to be librarians, or
get anyone's permission, or anything.  Moral: treat this and all open
lists as public.  Don't say anything you wouldn't want your mother,
spouse, and/or boss to hear, and keep your mouth shut about that little
project with the mice, electric drill, and alligator clips.

    "...So if Sunday you're free why don't you come with me,
    And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
    And maybe we'll do in a squirrel or two,
    As we poison the pigeons in the park.
    We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment,
    Except for the few we take home...to experiment!"

             "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park"
                  --Tom Lehrer