Web-site Development Tools

Danijel Pajur dpajur at irb.hr
Wed Jul 22 12:23:01 EDT 1998

>I was wondering if any web librarians on this list could recommend any web
>development tools that they use.  I would especially appreciate hearing if
>anybody is still just hand coding, and their justification for doing so.

I'm using Macromedia's Dreamweaver, it's available for both Macintosh and MS
Windows, and it's one of those rare Mac programs that have been ported to
PC. I've tried out a lot of different web development tools, but I haven't
found anything nearly as powerful or as easy to use as this one. It brings
the user friendliness of Mac to the PC and still manages to provide the
power of a very advanced editor. It understands all DHTML code, JavaScript
etc and supports both WYSIWYG and HTML hand-coding modes. It might be a bit
costly but I think the program is well worth the money. :) I've used HotDog
before but there I had to type in all the code myself, which is not that bad
but the program didn't understand javascript and some DHTML code so it was
painting half of my code in red as for errors.. Then I tried MS FrontPage
which turned all my code to mush, since the program has a very weird way of
handling the code which I dislike.. In the end I discovered Dreamweaver and
that's where I'm staying. There's a tryout version available so you might
give it a shot.

-Danijel