Web-site Development Tools

P.A. Gantt pgantt at icx.net
Wed Jul 22 08:51:44 EDT 1998

Ah... have you tried the latest versions of FP, NSC, other
visual editors? Are they any better for generating valid coding?

I am interested in HoTMetaL
but as the unsupported <grinning> version...
I found this site but anonymous FTP did not work.

HoTMetaL: SoftQuad's HoTMetaL editor for HTML

HoTMetaL is an unsupported version of the commercial product HoTMetaL Pro. It
provides an editor/browser for (extended) HTML documents. HoTMetaL is
available
on a number of platforms (UNIX, MS-Windows, etc.). A tutorial for HoTMetaL Pro

teaches HTML basics, supported by an HTML Quick Reference guide. The most
recent [March 1995] Windows version of HoTMetaL supports some of the Netscape
extensions (e.g., <CENTER>, <BLINK>), displays graphics inline, uses a
stylesheet
configured to look like a standard HTML browser, and supports a filter for
plain text files and invalid HTML documents. See the posted public
announcement or
the fuller description on the SoftQuad server, including FTP location. Try the
FTP
directory ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/html/hotmetal/Windows, and specifically
the
binary file ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/html/hotmetal/Windows/hotm1new.exe).

    FTP from SGML Repository
    FTP from Exeter
    HoTMetaL executables (Remote file
    ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/contrib/SoftQuad/hotmetal)

Any thoughts?

I notice you tested on Win 3.1...
<snip>

"...Among graphical editors, I tried Adobe
Pagemill, Claris Home Page, Netscape Composer, Microsoft FrontPad (aka
FrontPage Express), Microsoft Word 97, and HoTMetaL Pro 3.0. Of these, only
FrontPad and HoTMetaL managed to open and save a valid HTML file without
introducing errors (and that's giving FrontPad the favor of ignoring its
patently wrong DOCTYPE). Only HoTMetaL avoided making any substantive
changes to my original document, as did two tag-based editors, HotDog and
HomeSite..."

TIA,

--
P.A. Gantt