NEWS: Windows Terminal Server Licensing with Web Services

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Fri Jul 17 18:43:07 EDT 1998

This message is cross posted...apologies.

I spent some time this afternoon on the horn with the Academic Program
Manager at Citrix.  To make a rather long story short, she tells me that
Microsoft corporate has told her that Windows Terminal Serving licensing
forbides accessing WTS from web services.  I imagine this is related to
Microsoft's WTS licensing requiring a NTWS license for each client.  If
access is provided anonymously from web services, there is no way to
validate client licensing (like you would want to have to validate
anyway).

If this is true, anyone currently considering using WTS with (or
without) Citrix MetaFrame to provide access to applications from web
services needs to do a couple of things.  (1) Reconsider until this
policy is clarified (this does _not_ affect WinFrame), and (2) if this
is a correct interpretation of Microsoft policy, rip their Microsoft
rep. a new one.  Microsoft appears to be way off base on this one,
certainly as it relates to the academic community.  Maybe with enough
noise, it can be straightened out.

I would like to hear feedback from those of you currently in the middle
of this.  Please have this policy confirmed or clarified through your
Microsoft representative.  I will summarize for those interested.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc.
mailto:dennis at dati.com