FW: Winframe server and Java based library catalogues

Dennis Brantley dennis at dati.com
Fri Jul 17 17:33:08 EDT 1998

Thomas Edelblute wrote:

> We were once looking at WinFrame for its thin-client technology in use
> with Windows NT.  If our network were larger than it actually is, there
> would be a cost savings. Is this being considered for your Winframe
> setups?

Sorry, not sure this reply was intended for me...

Yes.  In fact, next month I will be installing WinFrame with Wyse
WinTerms at a university in California strictly for public access web
browsing.  They are hoping to significantly reduce staff maintenance on
these stations.

At a local site, WinFrame is being used for access to DOS/Windows CD
applications from some old 386 DOS-based PCs, and for public dial-in.

The potential cost savings come in different forms.  The actual end user
device may or may not save money.  The WinTerms list at $739 without a
monitor, $1,239 with integrated 15" monitor.  For this, you could have a
PC.  And add to the equation the cost of WinFrame hardware/software.
But you may be able to recycle some older PCs for work stations.  Your
mileage may vary.

There's nothing internal to maintain with the WinTerm.  Same as PC as to
monitor, keyboard, mouse.  It either works or it doesn't.  When you have
a new application, load it once at the server, and put a link on your
web page.  Nothing to do at the client.  Most sites feel the real cost
savings is in terms of time for support, maintenance, upgrades, and
application deployment; but sometimes it is difficult to put a number on
these sorts of things.

--
Dennis Brantley
Data Access Technologies, Inc.