RUNNING A MAIL SERVER

Richard L. Goerwitz richard at goon.stg.brown.edu
Fri Jul 17 14:12:38 EDT 1998

Andrew J. Mutch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We recently learned that our ISP, which had previously provided our e-mail
> services for no charge will now be charging us $85 per account.

Can you be more specific about your situation?

  1) what does your networking infrastructure look like?
  2) what personnel do you have on hand to maintain a mail server?
  3) what protocols do you need supported?  (POP, IMAP, IMAP+SSL, etc.?)

The short answer to your question is that mail server software should
not cost you anything, if you have an internet feed, a systems person
to maintain the mail service, and the hardware and software to run the
service on (and assuming you are flexible in your choice of operating
systems).  Nearly all stock Unix systems ship with full mail services
that run, right out of the box.  In particular, Linux will do the job
nicely for you.

I assume that there are many vendors who will gladly relieve you of
your money, but I really don't see the point.

--

Richard Goerwitz
PGP key fingerprint:    C1 3E F4 23 7C 33 51 8D  3B 88 53 57 56 0D 38 A0
For more info (mail, phone, fax no.):  finger richard at goon.stg.brown.edu