Standards for Institution Web Pages

Jeri Traw traw at coastal.edu
Wed Jul 15 10:06:57 EDT 1998

As a matter of fact, this is an area of web librarianship that I am
interested in and  pursuing.

I have a rather large collection of library web site policy documents
that I have collected by searching the web & from directly asking
other libraries.  The problem is that it is a pretty long list.  If
anyone would like the URL of any type of library in particular I
would be happy to send those along.

Those of you who do have standards/guidelines,  what do you think the
importance of those standards are, what function do they serve in
your particular institution, who wrote the standards (a team or
individual), when did you write them (before your site was created or
after, how long after), do you also have a parent institution who's
standards you must follow (do they conflict or complement your
standards), what sorts of issues do they address, and do you make
them available on your web site to the public?

Any thoughts on this subject that any of you have would be of great
interest to me. And if anyone would like to share their web policy
documents with me I would love it.

Again, if anyone needs names of institutions who have policies just
let me know.

Jeri Traw
Reference Librarian/ Web Coordinator
Kimbel Library