RFP guidelines

Nina Platt nplatt at legarto.minn.net
Sat Jul 18 19:40:21 EDT 1998

>Thomas Edelblute wrote:
>
>Does anyone know of any good guidelines from writing an RFP?

>Thomas Edelblute, Systems Librarian  phone (619) 635-4683
>United States International University   fax (619) 635-4689
>Education to take you places           e-mail: tedelblu at usiu.edu

Thomas,

Are you looking for information on the RFP process for library automation?  We've looked for links to include in the ILSR website (where we have a page of sample RFPs for libraries) but have found that very few resources on this topic exist on the Internet. One link that we've found useful is a paper called The RFP Process <http://www.library.arizona.edu/users/sglogoff/ls61398/rfpprocess.htm>. This overview of the RFP process is actually part of the University of  Arizona LIS 613 class "System Analysis and Evaluation" taught by Stuart Glogoff.

A couple books which may be a bit dated but still useful include:

	Contracts,_Rfps,_and_Other_Procurement_Documents_for_Library_Automation by Edwin M. Cortez, 1986
	Proposals_and_Contracts_for_Library_Automation_:_Guidelines_for_Preparing_Rfps by Edwin M. Cortez, 1987

Another book that may be useful but is directed more broadly for government institutions:

	The_Request_for_Proposal_Handbook by Michael Asner, 1995

A book that contains information on the RFP process in libraries along with additional information on library automation:

	Automating_Media_Centers_and_Small_Libraries:_A_Microcomputer-based_Approach by Dania B. Meghabghab, 1997

Articles that deal with the topic:

	Boss, Richard W.  "The Procurement of an Automated Library System with a Model RFP," Library_Technology_Reports, 		v. 30, no. 3, May-June 1994. (the entire issue deals with this topic)
            Wilkinson, F.C. and Thorson, C.C. "The RFP process: rational, educational, necessary or there ain't no such thing as a free 		lunch," Library_Acquisitions:_Practice_&_Theory, v. 19, no. 2, 1995, pp. 251-268
	Glogoff, Stuart.  "Reflections on dealing with vendors,"  American_Libraries, April 1994, v. 25 no. 4, p. 313-314.

Also, you may be able to find more articles on the topic by using the following web sites:

  	BUBL Journals - Library and Information Science. Includes searchable index. http://bubl.ac.uk/journals/lis/
	Ebsco's Library Reference Center. A free service that provides citations to articles from 30 library journals
 		and magazines. Includes searchable index.  http://www.epnet.com/lrc.html

Finally, please take a look at some of the RFPs at http://www.ilsr.com/sample.htm.  The Minnesota Library Information Network Project (MnLINK) site provides a very good example of an RFP that covers all aspects of an integrated library system.  It also provides an excellent example of the documents created during the vendor selection process.

If anyone knows of resources on RFPs available on the web or in print that should be added to our site, please let us know.

Nina Platt, co-editor
ILSR, Integrated LIbrary System Reports
nplatt at minn.net or nplatt at ilsr.com
<http://www.ilsr.com/>