RUNNING A MAIL SERVER

bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us
Sat Jul 18 13:00:46 EDT 1998

Hi

We had the same situation with our ISP some time back and we
decided to run the Mercury mailserver on our Novell net.  Mercury is
stable, simple, and free of charge.  It comes in both NT/95 and
Novell flavors at http://www.pegasus.usa.com/dl/  We've had
absolutely no trouble with it in just over two years up and running.
Support via a searchable newsgroup is available too.

It's the server half of the great Pegasus mail software line.

Just a satisfied customer.

Bobb Menk

> Andrew J. Mutch wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We recently learned that our ISP, which had previously provided our
> > e-mail services for no charge will now be charging us $85 per account.
> > Since we have over 30 accounts, this is a substantial charge for us.
> > Since I've already been planning on migrating our web pages to our own
> > server, I was thinking that I should probably explore doing the same
> > with our mail services.  I've just been doing a little bit of research
> > and the software available runs in the $600 -- $1500 range so we would
> > save money by doing it ourselves but how difficult is this to do?
> >
> > For those running your own mail services, how difficult is it to do?
> > What products would you recommend.  Is this more trouble than it is
> > worth? We run NT Server 4.0 on a Compaq Proliant 1500 with 128 MB RAM so
> > NT product recommendations please!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andrew Mutch
> > Northville District Library
> > Northville, MI
>

> --
> Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
> Computer Consultant II                  University Library
> bennettt at am.appstate.edu
> http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
>
> Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001
>
> In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
> the number of complaints received

Bobb Menk, Internet Librarian, Lane Memorial Library
Hampton, NH 03842  603-926-3368
bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us