PURL Server

Jeanne Enright jenright at interlog.com
Sun Jul 12 08:31:13 EDT 1998

Ed,

In Sept. 1996, the Systems Development Dept. at the Toronto Reference
Library initiated a project to create PURLs using the software downloaded
from OCLC. We have been running our own PURL server since then.

I'm the cataloguer responsible for adding the 856 to records, and creating
and maintaining the PURLs. The 856 is primarily added to records for print
government publications where the full-text is available via the Internet.
Other links are for monographs and serials that have related information on
the Web, for example, a table of contents, updates or additional
information. I've created a few MARC records for Internet resources.

The results of the first link check indicated that 14 out of the 209 URLs
had either moved or disappeared (6.7%). The new URLs for all but 3 records
could be located (these documents may have been taken down).

The Toronto Reference Library's PURL page is located at http://199.71.64.73/

Jeanne Enright
Cataloguing Librarian
Toronto Reference Library