Access to Databases

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafvax.lafayette.edu
Fri Jan 30 14:41:54 EST 1998

At 06:48 PM 1/29/98, Morven Fraser wrote:
>We are having some trouble setting up access to library databases for our
>distance education students.  The plan has been to set up access to
>databases, using ip recognition rather than passwords. As such we are using
>a proxy server that tricks the system into thinking that the students are
>accessing the databases from a university Internet account.  (Naturally,
>the students cannot use university Internet accounts since they are too far
>away and would have to pay long distance charges while on-line).

This may be a tad low-tech (and high-cost?), but has anyone looked into
establishing 800 number dial-in connections for distance learning students,
faculty on sabbatical, etc.? If possible, it could solve the IP
recognition, long distance charges, and proxy server overload problems in
one shot. Is it technologically feasible?

Bob Duncan

  Robert E. Duncan
  Reference/Instruction Librarian
  David Bishop Skillman Library