Patron Proof Printer?

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Fri Jan 30 10:37:39 EST 1998

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jennifer Sarber wrote:

> These poor printers take a lot of abuse, and we have to keep sending
> them to be repaired.  Usually the paper feed tracker, where the patrons
> insist on CRANKING the KNOB instead of using the form or page feed.  We
> have placed SEVERAL signs in places where the patrons almost have to
> move the sign to use the printer.  The sign's continue to be overlooked.
>
> Are there any suggestions that I can have about patron proofing
> printers?  Maybe we should use a different printer, but we prefer
> pin-fed paper.

I would say just take the knobs off.  Depending on the printer model, if
you need the knob to load the paper itself, keep one at the Ref desk,
preferably tied to a large 'dongle' to make sure that the knob does not
walk away on its own (DONGLE: large pseudo-brick-type object. Can be a
cement block, big chunk of wood anything - kind of like the gas stations
that connect bathroom keys to oversize thingamabobs - you get the idea).

John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466
   http://www.unm.edu/~csel