Invitation to TelEd '98 - Victoria, BC

John Walker jwalker at networx.on.ca
Thu Jan 29 20:00:45 EST 1998

Invitation to TelEd '98 - Victoria, BC
from: gkd97

Invitation to TelEd '98

>From October 30 to October 31, 1998, ISTE's Seventh International Conference
on Telecommunications and Multimedia in Education (TelEd'98) will bring a
worldwide community of educational leaders and learners together in an
exploration of telecommunications and multimedia in education.

As in past years, TelEd '98 will be held in two unique, yet equally inviting
sites. In addition to Victoria, a second site will be in New Orleans,
Louisiana. With "Telecommuncations and All That Jazz" as the headlining
theme for TelEd'98, we would like to extend an invitation for you to
"trumpet your stuff" at the premier conference covering telecommunications,
the Web, multimedia, the Internet, software, hardware, networking
technologies, technology planning, teacher education and professional
development.

Whether you choose Victoria or New Orleans, we are confident that you will
experience the premier conference that has successfully gathered the
momentum to bring telecommunications and education in harmony.

With your involvement, TelEd'98 will once again be able to provide an
informative and innovative forum for novices and experts integrating
telecommunications and emerging interactive technologies into the classroom.

Remember that submission close on April 10, 1998. We hope to see you in
Victoria, a city as colourful as your imagination!

For additional information and a Call for Participation, check out the
TelEd'98 web site at <http://teled98.openschool.bc.ca> or contact Shelly
Akam at the Open School, a division of the Open Learning Agency in Victoria
at (250)953-7400.

TelEd'98 (Victoria) is brought to you by the International Society for
Technology in Education, Open School and the  Computer Using Educators of BC.

Peter Donkers              	   pdonkers at etc.bc.ca
Director			peterd at olax.ola.bc.ca
Open School			  voice:(250)953.7422
Open Learning Agency		   fax: (250)953.7444

-------------

Also in this issue:

- This day in Canadian history, January 28, 1988
    The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the abortion law was
    unconstitutional.
    Women gained more control over their bodies.
    To date one million Canadian babies are dead.
    I have always been very proud to be Canadian.
    Today I'm not so sure.
    There must be a better way!
    JSW
- To Or Not To
    How journalism schools address the challenge of training online
    journalists
- Journalism's Old Rules Should Apply to Cyber-Libel
    I have never met Matt Drudge, but I have a powerful feeling that if I
    did, I wouldn't like him at all. You've probably heard of the
    Internet gossip columnist by now; his fame seems to grow by the day.
    The scoops -- and goofs -- in his "Drudge Report" increasingly are
    covered by mainstream news organizations.
- Be careful what you write; it could get you fired
    A wave of shock has washed over the Net population in the past two
    weeks. What you write on the Internet, people realized, can actually
    get you fired.
- No more free lunch on the Internet
    Since its inception, the Internet has proven false the cliche that
    there's no such thing as a free lunch. Net users have been feasting
    on a smorgasbord of information and ideas provided gratis by everyone
    from the man on the street to the world's largest media companies.
- New Lists and Journals
    * ComedyOnTap - Daily Comedy Newsletter
    * The E-Tailer's Digest
    * CONFUCIUS - Discussion of The Analects
    * NetInLib-Announce - Announcements of New Internet Resources
      for Librarians

"On the Internet no one               /  __/~|   /       |
knows you're a dog"                 =(  _____| (_________|

http://www.networx.on.ca/~jwalker