online encyclopedias

Rich Greenfield rgreenfi at educ.state.ak.us
Tue Jan 27 15:58:00 EST 1998

More than 17,000 articles from The Concise Columbia Electronic
Encyclopedia, Third Edition are searchable online for free at
http://encyclopedia.com/

Related links turn the encyclopeida into a subject-oriented front-end to
the Elecontic Library.

 At 11:03 AM 1/27/98 -0800, Terry Plummer wrote:
>Dear Deanne,
>	Encyclopedia Americana is also available online.  Disadvantage to
>Britannica -- they don't allow dial-in users unless it's a campus.
>	Terry Plummer
>
>	Terry Plummer
>	e> plummer at lib.de.us            * Delaware Division of Libraries
>	v> 302-739-4748 ext 119         * 43 South DuPont Highway
>	f> 302-739-6948                 * Dover, DE 19901
>
>On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, DEANNE LUCK wrote:
>
>> Is Britannica the only encyclopedia available online with a site
>> license?  Everyone seems to like it pretty well - what are some of its
>> disadvantages?  Anybody have another they like better?
>>
>> Also, we're thinking about getting a "Reference CD workstation" to
>> handle stand alone CD reference-type titles.  What are people's
>> favorites (not GPO - we've got them on a Gov't Info workstation)?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> DeAnne Luck
>> Electronic Resources Librarian
>> Austin Peay State University
>> LuckDL at apsu01.apsu.edu

Rich Greenfield, Technology Coordinator
Alaska State Library, P.O.Box 110571
Juneau, Alaska 99811 (Tel. 907-465-2928)