Filtering and the Web

Linda Woods Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Mon Jan 26 17:00:47 EST 1998

OK, I'm just going to stick my little naive neck way out there and ask a
few questions. Have we, the information experts and decision-makers of the
world, decided that access to the internet is now a god-given right? Have
we determined that it is a "standard library service" now along with books
and magazines and newspapers? Does anyone out there filter newspapers,
magazines, books, etc? Is it "not OK" to say that the internet is an
unreliable, unpredictable source of information and let the user beware? Is
it "not OK" to just say NO and don't  provide the service if it's more
trouble than it's worth?

One thought my office colleague and I had at one point was to establish a
new internet extension, a  ".kid" extension. This would mean that the site
passed certain hurdles and was "safe" for kids and other users of the "PG"
or "G" ilk. (However, I don't want to be a hurdle cop.)

Also, I'm curious just how often does "offensive" material turn up on the
average when conducting a search?

Linda Woods Hyman
Pacific Bell Education First
Department of Educational Technology