Putting Databases on the Web

Ellen Fox efox at bcr.org
Mon Jan 26 12:50:35 EST 1998

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Andrew J. Mutch wrote:

> Specifically, I need:

> A product that will allow queries via an HTML page to an Access Database
> and will return the results in HTML format.  This product should allow
> various forms of queries and should allow for customization of both the
> query and result pages.  Load on the server and speed are also important
> considerations.  We currently run IIS 4.0 on a NT 4.0 166 MHz-128MB RAM
> server.

BCR has worked with SilverPlatter to put various types of databases on the
web.  Basically, your database winds up looking just like a SilverPlatter
database and can be accessed with WinSPIRS, or in your case, WebSPIRS. You
can't leave the database in Access format, though; it has to be converted
to a format that the S.P. software can deal with.  The conversion is one
of the services BCR does for its members; we can't do it for free, but
since we're a non-profit we can do it for our costs. You don't need to be
a BCR member to use the service. The software you need to mount it on your
server is free, though.

It's strengths are that it's highly customizable and can be searched in a
lot of different ways.  If you go to
http://forge.silverplatter.com/cgi-bin/webspirs.cgi
you can play with a demo version and see how it works.

Ellen Fox					14394 East Evans Ave.
Project Manager, Research & Development		Aurora, CO  80014-1478
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)       (303) 751-6277 (voice)
efox at bcr.org     				(303) 751-9787 (fax)