Extra phone charge

Ia Forrester ia at marin.k12.ca.us
Mon Jan 19 21:46:18 EST 1998

I just received this disturbing message from my sister-in-law who teaches
in Oregon, and, since it looks as if it will affect all us one way or
another, I'm passing it on to the readers of this the list:
"This is to inform you of a very important matter currently under review by
the Federal Communication Commission (FCC).  Your local telephone company
has filed a proposal with the FCC to impose per minute charges for your
internet service.   They contend that your usage has or will hinder the
operation of the telephone network.  It is our belief that internet usage
will diminish if users were required to pay additional per minute charges.
The FCC has created an e-mail box for your comments.  Responses must be
received by February  13, 1998.
Send your comments to:  isp at fcc.gov.  Tell them what you think.  EVERY phone
company is in on this and they are trying to sneak it in just under the
wire for litigation.  Let everyone you know hear this one.  Get the e-mail
address to everyone you can think of. "                        isp at fcc.gov