Thanks! re slash

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jan 14 09:51:20 EST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Sara T. <sarat at fnal.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Monday, January 12, 1998 9:56 AM
Subject: Thanks! re slash

>Thanks to all who responded to me and/or to the list re ending slashes
>confusing a browser display.
>It is now clear to us that the slash should only be used for a
>directory/subdirectory, NOT just a file; plus, some browsers interpret an
>ending slash as a command to display the source code.

Ixnay.  I think the consensus was that, when confused by the trailing slash,
the *server* reverts to its default MIME type, which is text/plain.  MSIE
prior to version 4 ignored MIME types sent by the server if it recognized
the file extension as something else (Bad browser!  Go sit in the corner!),
but other browsers were doing what they ought, which is display plain text.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu