SECURITY

raybornr raybornr
Tue Jan 13 08:28:04 EST 1998

At 9:02 PM +0100 1/13/98, Jennifer Sarber wrote:
>Greetings Everyone:
>
>I hope this is a relevant topic:
>
>My question is: has any one used the security software "On Guard"?  This
>is a desk top security for Mac computers, we have several public
>computers to protect.  We are currently using Mac Administrator.
>
>If anyone would have other suggestions I would love to hear them.  If
>anyone knows of any other listservs that they fine helpful, I would love
>to know that also.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>Sincerely,
>Jennifer
>--
>Jennifer Sarber
>Indiana State Library
>Management Information Services
>140 North Senate Avenue
>Indianapolis, IN  46204
>http://www.statelib.lib.in.us

Jennifer,

    We tried On-Guard and were not happy with it.  It was several years ago
so I cannot remember the details.  I think it was involved with network
interaction.  They also have a network product called Lan Commander (also
called Net Commander) that I have continued to use and like very much.

I switched to the plain old Apple product called At-Ease 3.0 and that seems
to do all that is necessary.  It appears to be an over simplistic design,
but has proven to be successful.

We have At Ease installed on 8 internet access stations, 2 word processing
stations and a variety of CDROM stations.  It has worked on all of them.  I
have also installed it on 30 of the staff computers with much less
security.  (Basically I just keep them out of the system folder.)

Roger A. Rayborn
Computer Information Systems Manager
Cedar Rapids Public Library
Cedar Rapids, Iowa