Ending slash in url yielding source doc. display??

Byron C. Mayes bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu
Fri Jan 9 14:44:53 EST 1998

On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Sara T. wrote:

> When one types in/uses a bookmark, for the urls for at least two of our
> pages, when the urls have ending slashes (e.g.
> http://fnalpubs.fnal.gov/index.html/) the resulting display on the browser
> is the SOURCE DOCUMENT, i.e. the html-tagged text file.
> This happens using Netscape on the following platforms:  Mac OS, Win NT,
> and UNIX.  But it does not happen ALL the time!

What happens the rest of the time? Does it work properly? As I understand
it he URL given above should render a 404 File not found error, unless you
have a directory called "index.html"  somewhere. The final slash means
use the default file in the last directory.

> A UNIX support guy says the end slashes are the problem.  That could well
> be.  But they were never a problem on previous versions of the OS on our
> Sun station.

Is it possible that your server software was updated/changed in some way
with the upgrade? Some part of the OS that the server uses? Does this
happen with other pages not on your server? (if you don't have one off
hand, use my personal page <http://www.panix.com/~bcmayes/index.html> ...
with the final slash you should get a 404, without it the actual page)

For the record, I got the same results as you with Netscape 4 on Win95,
*but* IE 3 on the same machine called up your fully rendered page. Lynx
yields the same results as Netscape. Add that to the mix.

Byron

 Prof. Byron C. Mayes
 Systems Librarian/Assistant Professor
 Hunter College of the City University of New York
 695 Park Avenue * New York, New York 10021
 bcmayes at shiva.hunter.cuny.edu  * 212-772-4168 * Fax: 212-772-5113