Dialup woes

P or K Bary bary at qadas.com
Wed Jan 7 22:19:44 EST 1998

My library district is using a dialup system on something that for
convenience we refer to as a WAN.  It's really just a  PC at each of our
branches that dials into a com server and LAN workstation and accesses our
CD towers (a really ugly solution - I don't even like to think about it).

We use Fortres, which we like very much, but in addition to Fortres, we use
Ikiosk, which locks down the Windows menus, right mouse button, etc.  I
believe you can find a download version via www.carl.org (com?).  We've
used Fortres for over a year now, and Ikiosk for about three months - so
far with great success.

Another possible solution, though we haven't tried it out yet, is Fortres'
Cooler.  It combines their Fortres 101 features with something like Ikiosk.
 There's a download version on the Fortres Web page:  www.fortres.com.

Karen Bary
Microcomputer Coordinator
Arapahoe Library District