mailto and forms

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:08:22 EST 1998

-----Original Message-----
From: Vickie Chiappetti <VCHIAP at mpl.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tuesday, January 06, 1998 1:32 PM
Subject: mailto and forms

>I attended a class not too long ago where the instructor
>said that it was possible to use the mailto function when
>initiating a form.

In fact, several browsers do not submit this form as expected, including all
versions of MSIE through 3.x--my understanding is that MSIE4 for Win95/NT
does, but only if Outlook Express is installed and is the default mail
client on your system.  I believe that Netscape 4.04 standalone also does
not do this, since it doesn't have its normal built-in mail program.

>Since we do not have any cgi scripts installed on our
>server, I thought that the mailto function as part of  the
>form action would perform a long stringed message, but
>would get the job done and would be delivered in the
>designated mailbox.
>I have the code written as follows:
><form action="mailto:vchiap at mpl.org method="post">
>I've tested this out and the information isn't being
>processed.  I will be getting some help writing some cgi
>scripts later this year, but the boss wants to do some forms
>today.  Can anybody help or suggest an alternative method
>or code?

There are third-party, remotely hosted CGI scripts which you can use to
submit forms and have them sent via e-mail to a specified address.  Sorry I
don't have a URL, but a Yahoo search should turn them up.

Or...suggest to your boss that he or she look into a Web consultant and get
a real-world sense of what "get it done today" costs.  :->

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu