How to enable reverse DNS?

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Thu Feb 26 18:07:36 EST 1998

If you are trying to download from a machine in the
bartlesville.lib.ok.us domain, then reverse DNS service is already
being provided by two servers.  I notice, however, that there are only
two machines listed in reverse lookup (and forward lookup, for that
matter): netra and bard, while you clearly have many more hosts
active.

My guess is that you are trying to download to a networked client PC,
which evidently is not entered in DNS, either forward or reverse.
Since Start-Of-Authority for reverse lookups in your address range is
with onenet.net, you will probably have to contact them in order to
get any other machines advertised.

You could also try downloading to either netra or bard, which are
in reverse lookup, and which therefore should be entitled to download.

I hope this helps.

Chuck

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Beth DeGeer wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> We have a patron who is attempting to access fill out college financial
> aid forms at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/  We are unable to gain access to
> the site because we are not running a version of Netscape with 128 bit
> encryption.  We are unable to download this version from Netscape,
> because we do not have reverse DNS enabled on our server.
>
> Can anyone give me instructions as to how to enable reverse DNS lookup
> on my server?  It's running UNIX.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
>
> Beth DeGeer
> bdeg at bartlesville.lib.ok.us