Summary of converting LP's to CD's with PC's (long)

Bobb Menk bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us
Thu Feb 26 06:02:51 EST 1998

I actually posted my question about converting old LP's to audio CD's
using a sound card and a PC to two separate discussions.  One devoted  (more
or less) to librarians and their use of technologies and the web, the
other composed of scientists, engineers and just plain folks who used
to work for a prominent acoustical engineering & research company and
like to keep in touch.

My thanks to all in both groups who've contributed.

I had not anticipated generating as much discussion as I did and I
have had multiple requests from members of both groups for a summary.

For  myself, we'll have to see if I get a tax refund before I take
the plunge ;>.

Here's the short summary:

It can be done.  The key requirements are: a good cd-writeable drive
- either EIDE or SCSI will work, (Ricoh, HP & Yamaha models all
receiving praise); a large hard drive (2gb-4gb) to store and edit the
audio files; software to filter out noise before writing to the CD
(Cool Edit, Spin Doctor, Sound Forge all recommended by users), the
PC must be dedicated to this task when actually writing to CD,
patience to edit the sound to a quality level acceptable to you.

Some recommended resources include:
Newsgroups: comp.publish.cdrom.hardware and alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Magazine Article:  Source: Stereo Review, Mar98, Vol. 63 Issue 3,
p22, 3p, 2c, by, Pohlmann, Ken C.

A word of warning from a music librarian who shares concerns for
anyone with responsibilities in this area that are beyond the merely
personal:

"I'd be careful doing this - while you get adequate quality, you
won't get great quality.  We use them for archival work and to make
copies of student recitals.  We don't use a CD recorder on a PC,
though - we use a professional model.  You can probably get an idea
of the difference in quality from the difference in price - our
professional model runs for over $3,000.  The quality of your sound
card will make a big difference - professional quality models are
available, but they are also more expensive than your basic
SoundBlaster.  I don't know about the software concerns, but my guess
is that there is also a wide range of quality out there."

The long summary is below for those with greater interest.   I have
extracted and quoted the gist of what various people have said and
left all contributors in graceful anonymity.  Should anyone wish to
speak further with someone who contributed a specific bit of
experience or advice, please contact me and I will try to connect the
interested  parties.

Quite a number of people had varying levels of experience actually
doing this. Here's what they have to say:

"I have an HP 7110E parallel port unit - attached to the parallel
port standing the computer and the printer, and I bought the Adaptec
CD Creator deluxe edition for the "Spin Doctor" software for creating
Audio CDs.  I have been using it on a Dell P166 laptop with 64MB
memory and lots of hard disk space free.  I either read in the .wav
files onto my hard drive or read the audio CD with my CD-R drive onto
my hard drive as .wav files.  This stuff takes up a lot of space:
approximately 10Mbytes/minute.  So for a 74 minute CD you need close
to a Gigabyte of free disk space.  To make the CD look professional,
you should get a CD label maker which is basically a set of circular
labels, a program to write them, and a funny looking round donut
shaped device called a "stomper" that presses the label onto the CD
properly aligned."

"Yamaha and H-P have reliable CD-R drives for $500 or so that ship
with CD Writer Pro or similar serviceable software; I've heard (and
told) discouraging stories about many other drives.   SoundBlaster 32
or better sound cards do fine at capturing your LPs, but cleaning
them up before outputting to CD-R is another story.  You can clean up
major scratches, pops and clicks manually with any such software,
e.g., what came with your sound card.  However, many old LPs have
more nasty deteriorations, like fuzziness caused by stylus scrubbing.
 For this I use SoundForge; there's a plug-in for the "real" version
(not the freeware LT version) that specifically deals with several
aspects of this problem."

"There are a lot of differences between CD-R units.  The one that I
have (HP 7110) is much better in this regard than others I have heard
of.  And, the issue of difficulty writing only occurs with writing
audio CDs -- not data file CDs.  I used my CD-R drive for both
purposes.  The HP unit comes with a beautiful program that integrates
the CD-R drive into the Windows 95 file system...  It even has some
logic that allows you to overwrite a file, but since this is write
once technology it must be marking the old file unavailable and
writing a fresh copy taking up additional space. I have primarily
used HP write once CDs that I can get these days at CompUSA for $1/CD
(with a mailin rebate)."

"(n.b. This info culled from personal experience and following the
newsgroups listed above) First, any decent audio adapter should be
able to do a good job on the audio recording itself: it's the
software that's crucial, and there I've noticed no consensus about
which product is really best and most usable.  I want something
that'll let me record an entire two sides of a 33; clean the sound of
pops, scratches, and hiss; then cleanly divide it into cuts and
annotate the resulting CD.  I guess 800MB of hard disk space for the
original recording and another two times that for editing space and
the final audio CD image before burning, so a 4GB AV-qualified disk
should be plenty.  But no one is entirely satisfied with any of the
available CD recording hardware, so I've concluded for the moment
that the CD recorders aren't ready for prime time yet, where "prime
time" is defined as "use by people who aren't obsessed with CD
recorders but just want to make CDs".  Of course, this also does
relate to the software.  CPU power: based on what I've seen, a 100MHz
Pentium with 16MB RAM should be plenty for the recording steps: it's
the reliability of the hard disk and the CD recorder that are crucial
in cutting the CD, not CPU power.  If you're processing the recording
on hard disk (cleanup, etc.) naturally any additional CPU power and
memory will make your life easier."

"I have done some research into using CD-R.  Most of my sources said
that they operate in a "continuos write" mode.  That is, once you set
everything up, it writes.  There had better not be any interruptions.
 Not even a millisecond.  So, if you decide to print that label or
check your Email, the CD is toast."

"I just got a Ricoh 6200 CD-RW just before Christmas and it's
terrific. I've got CD's everywhere now! Got it hooked up to my
Buslogic SCSI controller and it worked great right out of the box.
I'm using a P166 with 32MB of ram under Win95.  I've got my tape
player hooked into my Soundblaster 32 soundcard and have recorded
several cassettes with very good results. It's my understanding that
you don't need a fancy soundcard at all for LP's, in fact the lowly
Ensonique is the recommended card. LP's and cassettes are saved as
wav files on the hard drive then converted and written to tracks on
the CD. "Cool-edit" is good software for recording and editing wav
files but there are several other sound editing programs available.
"Spin Doctor" is available with Adaptec's CD Creator Deluxe software
and is often recommended for taking out the hisses, scratches, highs,
and lows of LP's. LP's require a bit more effort that other input
forms but judging by the discussion it's not too bad and worth the
effort."

"Most even 'adequate' sound cards will do 44Kb "CD quality" sampling,
but you might be willing to accept something lesser if your disks
aren't all that good...  Certainly a $75 Sound Blaster will do it all
just fine. A friend  also recommended "Cool Edit Pro"
[www.syntrillium.com].  It is about a hundred bucks.  With it you can
de-click the stuff and also clean up the noise.  It is a big job, but
apparently does a pretty good job."

Another recommendation was the use of a "mixing console to plug the
turntable into, which, in turn plugs into the computer input.  You'll
need a fast processor, large speedy hard-drive (those audio files are
huge and slow read/write hardware leads to "blips" on the audio) for
the LP "data", and preferably a separate drive for the software to
process, manipulate, and drive the recording process onto the
CD-recorder. We have a SCSI setup for two physical hard-drives on a
Gateway Pentium 125 system.  (Sound Forge is the software we use)"

Bobb Menk, Internet Librarian, Lane Memorial Library
Hampton, NH 03842  603-926-3368
bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us