archived audio sites

Bruce Pomerantz brucep at PioneerPlanet.infi.net
Tue Feb 24 00:16:24 EST 1998

Recently, I asked for recommendations on archived audio material on the
web for an evaluation column I write.

I am listing the three suggestions which I received.  If you have
questions about the site, please contact the people who recommended them
since I have not yet reviewed them.

Bruce Pomerantz
Columnist
Internet Reference Services Quarterly

From: Gary Handman <ghandman at library.berkeley.edu>

The UC Berkeley Media Resources Center and the Berkeley Language Center
have recently embarked on a project to digitize selected materials from
the Berkeley Speech Archives--a large collection of speeches and notable
lectures given at UCB over the last 25 years.  The MRC hopes to use this
project as a springboard for other digital audio and visual collection
initiatives.  Check out our first couple of offerings at:

<http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/MRC/audiofiles.html>

The player employed is StreamWorks, which you can download from the
above-referenced site.

Gary Handman
Director
Media Resources Center
Moffitt Library
UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
510-643-8566
ghandman at library.berkeley.edu

From: Joy Schwarz <schwarz at AXP.WINNEFOX.ORG>

Try the The History Channel's Great Speeches Archive at
<http://www.historychannel.com/gspeech/archive.html>.
It requires RealAudio'sRealPlayer.

Joy Schwarz
I.L.L. Librarian & Webmaster
Winnefox Library System
Oshkosh, WI  USA
schwarz at AXP.WINNEFOX.ORG>

From: "Margaret L. Christiansen" <margchr at regent.edu>

One site is "Oyez Oyez Oyez" at <http://oyez.nwu.edu/>.
Quoting from their home page:  "a multimedia database about the United
States Supreme Court.   In addition to abstracts of key constitutional
cases, we provide digital audio (RealAudio) of the Oral Arguments in
many important cases, as well as several recordings of the announcement
of the Court's opinion. We also link to the written opinions of the
court in all cases since 1891, provided by the FindLaw project."

Margaret L. Christiansen, Assistant Director
Regent University Law Library
1000 Regent University Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
margdem at regent.edu