Citing electronic copy AND the hard copy (fwd)

Margaret Gross mgross at CAM.ORG
Mon Feb 23 01:21:46 EST 1998

Douglas

In trying to come up with an answer your question, I asked myself what
is it that you are asking, and so distilled the query to the very
purpose of citations. Citations  are used to credit authors for their
intellectual contribution, and to provide traceability to the document
for purposes of veracity and verification. It is the identifying
particulars of the document, as well as where it resides that must be
cited. Therefore IMO, it is the document URL only, that is required. The
URLs of content providers, be they First Search, Dialog, Lexis-Nexis,
etc., all of which serve up full text documents, need not be provided.
The fact that these are all accessible via the Internet, makes the
Internet the means of communication and document delivery.

Having said all of the above, I still have great reservation about the
longterm utility of document URLs. Reference to a paper document is
static and immutable. References to document URLs lead to broken links
as soon as the content provider alters his directory structure.

Good luck,

--
Margaret Gross
Manager, Library & Information Resources
work: mgross at spar.ca
home: mgross at cam.org
FAX (514)425-3048
TEL (514)457-2150 ext. 3259