W3Launch and Netscape 4.0

Glen Davies GLEN at rimu.cce.ac.nz
Sun Feb 22 18:49:38 EST 1998

Hi

I had the same problem and I fixed it by deleting the .w3l extension
in the hkey_classes_root of the registry and also removing the
w3launch mimetype from navigator. Then go into windows explorer and
double click one of the .w3l files in your w3launch directory, this
should bring up the open with box. Select w3launch and make sure the
"always use .. " box is ticked. When you restart navigator selecting
a .w3l link should automatically work, no need to add a mime type
manually as navigator 4 seems to read file type associations from the
registry. You may get the open with or download box the first time
you select a .w3l link but if you select  always open, don't
prompt etc you should be away.

Regards
Glen

> We've been using W3launch to launch cd products off a web page
> successfully with Netscape 3 and 3.04. During the upgrade to Netscape
> 4.0 we noticed the following problem. When the link for the cd is
> clicked on,  the w3l viewer launches not the file that launches the
> program. So far we've tried editing the registry manually to configure
> the mime types and reconfiguring the mime types in Netscape 4.0.
> Any ideas?
>
> Catherine Parr
> Canterbury Public Library

Glen Davies