floppy disk access on public access

Brian D. Jennison bjenn at pcisys.net
Tue Feb 17 10:35:18 EST 1998

If you are running Win95 or NT Workstation on the client side, you might consider implementing policies and profiles.  We allow the downloading of files to the floppy drives on our public Web-Access PCs. Using policies, we can control which executables can be run on those machines.  Right now, only Netscape.exe and our telnet executable can be launched.  So any time someone wants to run an executable other than those (including launching a virus from diskette), policies will notify them that the "operation is restricted...".  We also set a BIOS password so that if patrons try to reboot the PC, they will need a password which only the Librarians know!  This prevents patrons from booting from diskettes.
Hope that helps some,

Brian D. Jennison
Pikes Peak Library District
bjenn at pcisys.net