floppy disk access on public access

Elvio Pederzolli elviop at ferrari.slsa.sa.gov.au
Wed Feb 18 00:09:21 EST 1998

Hi there

We have a number networked of public access pcs where our clients can surf the net,
access our cd rom network and search our library catalogue.

At the minute we have disabled access to the a drive (using cmos settings)

We are becoming more aware that users may have legitimate reasons to download
files to their floppy discs - but we don't want to compromise our network
security by allowing the potential of recalcitrant users  uploading a virus to
our network or re booting the pc and running programs from a discette..

How have other libraries handled this ?

Elvio Pederzolli                   *   Tel (voice)   08-2077603       *
State Library Of South Australia   *       (internt) 61-8-2077603     *
GPO Box 419, Adelaide              *   fax           08-2077622       *
South Australia.  5001             *       (internt) 61-8-2077622     *
                                                                      *
              E-mail  elviop at ferrari.slsa.sa.gov.au                   *
t                                                                       *