NT Web Server using WebSite problem

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Feb 11 19:27:31 EST 1998

I don't think PDC or standalone is your problem unless it is specific to
O'Reilly's WebSite.  I'm running Netscape Enterprise Server off a DEC ALPHA NT
server set up as a PDC.  You may want to try another web server software or
even just a telnet daemon to see if it is software specific.  Can't tell you
what your problem is but I do think you can count out the PDC vs Standalone
unless there is another NT server set up as the PDC on your campus.

Thomas

Glenn Johnson-Grau wrote:

> We are trying to set up a NT web server using O'Reilly's WebSite, but are
> experiencing a frustrating problem (compounded by the fact that I'm new to
> NT). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I can install NT okay, creating a computer name and a domain name at the
> appropriate points and making the machine a Primary Domain Controller.
> After NT is installed, WebSite installs just fine. Then the problem starts.
> WebSite serves to the browser running on that machine (the server). And it
> serves to users off our campus network, which I think means that the campus
> DNS server is correctly routing outside requests to the server IP address
> (http://157.242.64.225 or http://library.lmu.edu). But to other machines on
> our campus network, the server does not respond. I have tried renaming the
> (NT) domain and renaming the computer by changing the Identification tab in
> the Network utility. It tells me the changes have been made, but it still
> doesn't work for other on-campus computers.
>
> I can go into more gory details, but that is the basic situation.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> --Glenn
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Glenn Johnson-Grau
> Networked Resources/Reference Librarian
> Loyola Marymount University
> 7900 Loyola Blvd
> Los Angeles, CA 90045-8200
> gjohnson at popmail.lmu.edu
> (310)338-6063

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2795
FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received