Creating Web Workstation for people with disabilites

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 05:44:44 EST 1998

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Isabel  Danforth wrote:
> I was wondering about some kind of touch pad to replace the mouse. Or are
> those easily damaged by pens or pencils.  Or maybe even nicer, is  it
> possible to have a touch screen?

Touch screens are OK for situations where point just one to select a few
options, get some information and then go, but forget them for
workstations were people have to spend more than 5-10 minutes working.
The reason is that if you're selecting lots of menu options, buttons, etc
with touch screens with the screen vertical, your arms soon begin to ache
(I know; I played with a prototype web opac front end with a touch screen
and its RSI waiting to happen).  If you embed the screens nearly
horizontally (in a desk for example) you immediately introduce hurdles for
small people (children, etc) and people in wheelchairs.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll