CGI services?

John T. Benedetto jbenedet at unm.edu
Fri Feb 6 17:37:11 EST 1998

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Jenne Heise, Idea Hamster wrote:

> Dear Listmembers,
>
> What are university web services doing (if anything) to support CGI scripting
> by users?
>
> Our current policy is to not allow the mounting of user-written CGI scripts at
> all, and to consider writing scripts ourselves if the need is generic enough.

That is also the policy here at UNM.  The answer the campus computer
department has is "you want CGI, get your own server".  They do have some
scripts available is you wish to use them (form handler, counter, maybe
others, don't know), and pointed me to a perl script that would enable us
to take stats of our web pages off of the campus server.

Many of the departments here have gotten their own servers.  FreeBsd &
Linux are both low cost unix-based solutions, and Windows NT is not all
that expensive anymore, what with hardware prices always dropping.

John

   John Thomas Benedetto, User Support Analyst II       jbenedet at unm.edu
   Centennial Science & Engineering Library,               (505)277-2598
   University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM  87131-1466