CSS questions

Steve Thomas sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Feb 5 19:47:14 EST 1998

At 03:55 PM 98/02/05 -0800, Bob Duncan wrote:
>Much of what's in the CSS1 spec does not yet work with the majority of
>browsers, and some style sheet rules can actually have adverse effects on
>browsers: ...

Add to that the fact that many users still use pre-version 4 browsers that
don't support style sheets at all, and one could make a good case for NOT
using style sheets at this time. After all, most people who create web
pages actually do want others to use them, at least once, so it is foolish
to put barriers in their way. (Seems to me I've heard this thread before:
anyone want to start a debate about frames?)

On the other hand, many of us are finding style sheets just too compelling
an idea to ignore. (Plus they're fun!)

I guess the bottom line advice is to proceed with caution. Which is pretty
good advice for anything really.  :-)

>I highly recommend that anyone interested in playing with style sheets
>check out Web Review's "Style Sheets Reference Guide"
><http://style.webreview.com/>, ...

I second that. It's an excellent resource for those who want to take the
risks but would like to know what they are first.

Steve
 Stephen Thomas, Senior Systems Analyst
 Mail : Barr Smith Library, The University of Adelaide, South Australia 5005
 Phone: (08) 8303 5190                                   Fax: (08) 8303 4369
 Email: sthomas at library.adelaide.edu.au
 URL  : http://library.adelaide.edu.au/ual/staff/sthomas.html
 ** Unless otherwise stated, the content of this message reflects only my **
 ** own opinion, and not the policy of the University of Adelaide Library.**

 "I must Create a System, or be enslav'd by another Man's" -- William Blake