Windows NT statistics

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Feb 2 09:32:10 EST 1998

I won't dispute the Compaq recommendation except to point out that it
doesn't address the original question.  Offlist, Katherine told me that she
is trying to log the activities of several workstations with a LAN
connection to an NT server.  The workstations access various Web servers
around the Internet and run various CD-ROM products on the LAN.

There may be metering applications available for CD-ROM products running on
the server.  However, the workstations do not touch the NT server for Web
connections to other sites.  The exception to this is if the NT server is
also running as a proxy for the workstations, in which case the proxy logs
will track the workstations' access.

Microsoft's IIS Web server does come with a version of Crystal Reports.  I
have not found that a particularly easy program to work with, but haven't
put much time into it.  We run wusage; other widely used log analysis
programs have been discussed on the list before and will show up in the
archives at http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive.html

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu