Quitting Database & returning home

Mr. Edward Spodick lbspodic at uxmail.ust.hk
Mon Feb 9 19:57:56 EST 1998

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Sheryl Dwinell wrote:
> I'm wondering what others of you do about the databases that upon
> disconnect don't take the user back to your site. Do you consider it a
> problem? Minor hassle? Any complaints from users? Complaints from reference
> staff? Have you taken any creative steps to address the situation?

We don't worry about it very much.  For example, on the Ovid and
Firstsearch systems, the feature only works if the user clicks on the
logoff or exit link to formally terminate the session.  According to our
statistics for Ovid, anyway, VERY few actually do this - less than 1%.  So
our users are not generally getting the benefit of the feature.

Given this, we have more urgent things to worry about.  :)

Edward Spodick, Systems Librarian
Hong Kong University of Science & Technologyt Library
lbspodic at uxmail.ust.hk