Small library rules for e-mail and chat

Carol Brown carol.brown at swtjci.swtjc.cc.tx.us
Fri Feb 27 15:34:18 EST 1998

I would like input from what others are doing with similar situations.
We are a small rural community college where the only open student
Internet access is in the library.  We presently have 12 Internet
computers and are having continuing problems with students on e-mail and
chat taking over all the computers and leaving students with reference
needs standing around waiting. By not allowing chat, we thought the
problem was solved, but now the students are using e-mail as chat and
just sitting waiting for their replies.  Presently we ask that students
limit themselves to 1/2 hour, but we are still inundated with students
abusing the system.

What are other small college libraries doing to alleviate this problem,
or is anyone even experiencing this?? We hate to totally eliminate
e-mail, since for many of our students, this is their only communication
with friends and home and is much less expensive for them than
telephoning.  I'd appreciate any helpful advice or suggestions.  I wish
we had a large open computer lab where the students could go, but this
isn't a feasible option for the near future.

Carol Brown
Asst. Library Director
Southwest Texas Junior College Library
Uvalde, TX