Shockwave and public Internet Stations

Stephanie Kraus krauss at crisny.org
Fri Feb 27 10:31:36 EST 1998

Hi All-

The Background-
We have 3 public Internet  workstations (win 95, Navigator 4.04) with no
speakers.  Occassionally we have a problem when a web page has music on
it that automatically plays, we get a "Midi Error" and the patron can
not go any farther until the "OK" button has been clicked on.  Usually
not a problem but not all patrons know this.  We have had the suggestion
that we add the Shockwave plug-in to our stations so that certain web
pages can be viewed.  I know that shockwave is multimedia and that
includes audio.

The Question:
If I add the shockwave plug-in to our Internet stations with no speakers
will we continually run up against the problem of getting errors due to
the fact there are no speakers?

Thanks in Advance for your help!

Stephanie Kraus
Head of Outreach and Internet Services