Blocking Setup-F2

Nora R. Harris nharris at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 19 23:59:12 EST 1998

Dwight, et. al.:

When we set up our first public pc, we also wanted to disable this
function.  We couldn't disable it but we did remove the statement by
pressing F2 when it flashed up on the screen.  This took us right into
setup.  In setup, we had the option of displaying the message or not.
We chose not to display the message, then exited and rebooted the
machine.  The "setup-F2" message no longer appears.  Of course, a
knowledgable person could still press F2 and get into setup but this
deters the nascent hacker.

By the way, not all pcs display the same prompt.  Mine at home uses
delete as the key to enter setup when booting up; there may be others.
Also, not all setup menus will allow you to choose not to block the
message.  You'll have to experiment with yours to see what works.

Good luck.

Nora Harris
Reference Librarian
Marin County Free Library
Corte Madera Regional Branch
707 Meadowsweet Drive
Corte Madera, CA   94925
email: nharris at ix.netcom.com
voice: 415-924-6444

These statements represent my own viewpoint and not necessarily that of
the Marin County Free Library.