Mail Viruses - True or false? ("J OIN THE CREW" message)

Vladislav S. Davidzon davidzon at metronet.lib.mi.us
Thu Feb 19 16:21:14 EST 1998

Now sheesh, why would you want to set your e-mail reader to automatically
run your attachments?  You could very well run a program that would pretty
much toast your CPU or at least freeze up your machine...

There is absolutely no way to crash your computer with a simple ASCII
file.  HOWEVER, I do suspect that Java can be used to hack via e-mail.  If
you use Microsoft Outlook, that will automatically load all HTML files...
I wonder if you could just put a java script / java in there to run a
virus file?  Please correct me if I am wrong.

-vsd