IP Recognition/Password Option Software

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Thu Feb 19 14:15:03 EST 1998

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Donald Barclay wrote:
> Does anyone on Web4lib know
> what kind of software allows U.T. to offer the password option? Do
> commercial companies sell such software, or can you make your own using
> Java?  I believe the UT software works by creating a pseudo IP address when
> a valid ID number is entered, but that's just a guess.

Donald,

Many on this list are more techno-inclined than myself, but here we've
created a system in which remote users login to our databases gateway page
in a manner akin to what you describe.  Our Systems Libn. implemented this
based on an article from _Apache Week_ called "DBM User
Authentication"-the article is at

http://www.apacheweek.com/features/dbmauth

The UI-UC Bluestem project - campus-wide authentification - is at

https://www-s.uiuc.edu/bluestem/notes/

And you can implement a proxy server.

GOOD LUCK!

John Creech
Head of Reference Services, Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 | 509-963-1081
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu
personal mail=jcreech at ellensburg.com
personal pages=larry.ellensburg.com/~jcreech