[WEB4LIB] Re: Update to my Electronic Journals Resource

Karen Harker KHARKE at mednet.swmed.edu
Mon Dec 14 09:10:11 EST 1998

We are trying to implement a database for ease of maintenance.  While retrieval by our clients other than by title is not a priority, the librarian in charge of implementing and maintaining the licenses of all these titles needs a way of retrieving titles by various factors, such as those with limited numbers of users, those that are IP-restricted, etc.  So we have created an Access database with all the different fields necessary for keeping track of these.  When all information has been entered, we will use ColdFusion to create a list of titles linked to their sites and listed alphabetically.  If we determine that our users would like to search for these titles by keywords or subject or some other factor, we could easily implement this.

Karen R. Harker
Web Developer
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75235-9049
http://www.swmed.edu/home_pages/library/

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, Amity Horowitz wrote:

> We haven't added these titles to the OPAC, but I did create a database
> (using MS Access) to store the lists of fulltext titles for the various
> databases we use.

Our people did something very similar here. The "master list" in its
current form is at
   http://www.lib.usf.edu/virtual/journals/alljournals/index.html
And like Amity, we're in a quandry as to how to maintain it - but it's
great to have it there!

Ilene Frank, Reference Dept.
Tampa Campus Library, LIB 122
University of South Florida, Tampa FL 33620
ifrank at lib.usf.edu        Work 813.974.2483
http://www.lib.usf.edu/~ifrank/