[WEB4LIB] MARC -> HTML perl diacritics converter?

Mike Poulin mpoulin at ithaca.edu
Mon Dec 21 15:19:55 EST 1998

Hi Hal,

I don't know about using PERL to do the diacritic conversion but I know of two
PC/MAC programs that will do it easily and well.  I use them to convert the
diactictics for our new books lists.

NoteTab - from www.notetab.com - freeware/shareware/commercial versions.  The
free version will take a html file (or text file) and will convert the high
order characters to the html diacritic character equivilent.  For Win 95/NT - My
favorite html editor at this point.

BBEdit Lite - (or pro) has extensions that will convert the same.  For the Mac.
(if you are interested in this one, I will have to look up the address>

Use Notetab if possible, it is more elegant in its conversions.

Mike

Michael Poulin
Systems Librarian
Ithaca College Library
1201 Gannett Center
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607)-274-1892    fax 607-274-1539
mpoulin at ithaca.edu

Hal Bloom wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone knows of a routine, preferably written in perl,
> which will take text with diacritics from MARC records and convert the
> codes to the appropriate HTML display codes.
>
> I've automated most of the updating of a recent additions web site, but the
> conversion of diacritics in the data extracted from MARC records is still
> to be done.
>
> Pointers to discussions of this problem, would also be appreciated.
>
> Thanks much.
> Hal Bloom
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Hal Bloom                 (617)496-1141