[WEB4LIB] HELP: GIF question

Walt Howe walthowe at delphi.com
Sat Dec 19 09:32:37 EST 1998

At 07:35 AM 12/17/98 -0800, Diane Madrigal wrote:
>I have a GIF image that seems to change its appearance when I insert it in
an HTML page.  If I view it in a browser (Netscape 3) by itself, the colors
are clear. But when I use it in a web page, they take on a sort of
patterned look. Can someone tell me why this happens, and whether I can do
anything about it? (I didn't create the image, so any significant changes
there are probably not an option.)

The GIF is apparently using colors that are not part of the 216r web-safe
colors. The result is that the colors are approximated through a process
called dithering--combining dots of different colors to approximate the
target color. See my page on dithering and web-safe colors at
http://www.delphi.com/pubweb/gg3.html and my page on creating web graphics
at http://www.delphi.com/pubweb/gg1.html

  Walt Howe