[WEB4LIB] RE: UC Berkeley not seeking ALA accreditation

Sue Kamm suekamm at CLASS.ORG
Wed Dec 16 21:44:37 EST 1998

<rant>
The current incarnation of what was once an outstanding LIBRARY school
does not produce LIBRARIANS.  I don't know about other public libraries,
but the one where I work finds the latest graduates know absolutely zilch
about how to conduct a reference interview or work with young people.
They are also unaware of the print resources available to answer
questions.  As far as cataloging is concerned--FORGET IT!

This is also true of the UCLA program, btw.  When I was in the MLS
program, UCLA was a pioneer in teaching data processing for libraries.
The philosophy behind the course--required of all students--was to enable
us to communicate intelligently with systems people.  In those days our
faculty included such bookpeople as Lawrence Clark Powell (who retired as
dean after the summer session I attended), Andrew Horn, and Betty
Rosenberg (author of GENREFLECTING).  I shudder when I think of what it's
become.

</rant>

Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at class.org
The goal of all employees is to anticipate all problems, develop
solutions for them, and solve them before they occur.
HOWEVER...
When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is difficult to remember
that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
--Anon.