predicting future public computer needs

Jacque Dessino tcdessj at tc.cc.va.us
Tue Dec 15 16:57:43 EST 1998

As part of a planning effort for the LRC I have been tasked with 'predicting' future public workstation needs.  My immediate reply was "As many as we can possibly get," but that isn't considered an acceptable answer.  Instead, I have been asked to come up with some kind of formula, rule of thumb or documented reasoning for future public workstation needs.

Our public workstations provide access to our library catalog, a wide variety of subscription based web databases, and public Internet access.  I searched the archives but didn't find anything appropriate.  In the literature I've found some articles about determining an adequate number of OPAC terminals, but nothing dealing with a multi-purpose reference workstation.

How have other list members 'predicted' workstation needs?  Do you use FTEs, number of available resources, in house use statistics, etc?  I would be interested in any formulas, arguments, or rationalizations you've used to justify predictions of workstation needs or requests for additional public computers.  thanks.

Jacque Dessino
Electronic Services Librarian
Tidewater Community College
tcdessj at tc.cc.va.us