Netscape stalls "looking up host"

Tom Zimoski tzimoski at sjvls.lib.ca.us
Tue Dec 8 20:31:49 EST 1998

I posted the following many weeks ago in another forum and the only
suggestion I got was to clear both the memory and disk caches.

We have the following problem with some Pentium 75 machines running
Windows for Workgroups, Chameleon (NetManage) TCP/IP and Netscape 3.04. It
is very common to be unable to retrieve a web page the first time one
trys.  The "Connect:Looking up host message" displays but we don't get
beyond that point.  However, if one presses Esc or clicks on Stop then
tries a second time we get almost immediately to at least the "Waiting for
reply" stage.

This happens even with our home page, located on a machine upstairs in
our building.  I have discovered that we don't have this problem reaching
the home page if we enter it's IP (numerical) address.

Once you know what to do about it it's not a serious problem, but at
the public library where I work this means that many people must
remember to tell many other people about it every day.

We don't have this problem with our Pentium 200 machines with
Windows95, its native TCP/IP,  and the Windows95 version of Netscape
3.04.  (Yes, I do see the outlines of a solution here but it ain't
gonna happen anytime soon)

Any suggestions about what might be causing this problem?  The fact that
the second try works almost every time makes me think there might be some
small tweek could help a lot.

Thanks for your attention.

Tom Zimoski
Fresno County Library