[WEB4LIB] Metadata use in libraries? (Re-post) - particulars of howto and what

John Little John.Little at Duke.edu
Fri Dec 4 12:21:56 EST 1998

>> I wonder how many libraries use metadata (Dublin Core in
>> particular) in their homepages or e-text, digital library
>> projects or other web project?

For our part we are beginning to use Dublin Core meta data for a few
projects.  We're starting small and trying identify the value and impact as
we go.

>> We are thinking of indexing our homepages and other web projects
>> using Swish-E.
>What I want to know is how your library uses metadata for your
>web projects, do you use dublin core, standard html meta tags, or others?
>What meta tags do you use?
>> What metatags should we use?

Use as many as you can.

I don't use SWISH-E so I can't tell you how that works but I tell my
indexer, Webinator, what meta data fields I want to index.

The fields we're adding are:
  <META name="DC.Title"
  <META name="DC.Creator
  <META name="DC.Subject"
  <META name="DC.Description"
  <META name="keywords"
  <META name="DC.Publisher"
  <META name="DC.Date"
  <META name="DC.Type"
  <META name="DC.Format"
  <META name="DC.Identifier"
  <META name="DC.Language"
  <META name="DC.Coverage"
  <META name="DC.Rights"

But for the moment I am telling Webinator to only index the following
fields: DC.Title, DC.Subject, keyword, and DC.Description.  Like I said
we're still experimenting.  I don't know how outside indexers (AltaVista,
HotBot, etc.) treat this information but I don't think adding the data can
hurt anyone and it will probably help.

For more information see the Dublin Core element set at
<http://purl.oclc.org/dc/about/element_set.htm>

( -- parenthetical comment --
I think maybe we should change
<META name="keywords" ... >
<META name="DC.Subject" scheme="LCSH" content="foo -- goo -- yoo">
<META name="DC.Subject" scheme="keyword" content="lots of interesting
keywords here">.
Does anyone know?  Thoughts?
)

>Thanks for any answers.  I will summarize on the list if I get any
response.
>So far, all the responses I have received are asking me to forward the
answers >I receive.  But I have not received any answer.

Thanks.  I'd like to read your summary.

--
John.Little at Duke.edu
Web Development Librarian