html in ppt

d scott brandt techman at omni.cc.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 6 12:22:12 EDT 1998

>is there a way to import an html document (graphics & text) into a power
>point presentation as an image?
>
>Cathy Edstrom
>NOAA Central Library

I just gave a brown bag on this and wanted to mention another alternative.
Be forewarned that when you do the PrntScrn method that the bitmap image
you capture "bloats" the size of your presentation-- after 3 or 4 you may
find that it won't fit on a 1.4MB floppy (and bitmaps don't compress much
with WinZip, etc.)...

The alternative is to download the page (I use Communicator and it works
well) then create a link in your presentation and click on it at the
appropriate time to show the page-- using a browser offline. This is nice
because you can scroll up and down through the page!

	1) Pull up the page you want in Communicator (note-- I get the
	    author's permission wherever appropriate)
	2) Then pull up the page in the Composer editor (i.e., Edit Page
	    under the File menu option)
	3) Then Save As-- Communicator will save all images with HTML
	    (note-- I save each page with images into a separate folder)
	4) In the presentation, create a link to the file

The great thing about this is that you have the pages and they are quite
transportable in their separate folders (and your ppt stays small). The
only technical drawback is that the first time it takes a while to load
the browser, and each link spawns a new browser window. My solution to
this is load the browser just before the presentation and reduce it, and
then actually close each subsequent window I open to reduce taking up too
much memory.

Hope this helps,
Scott

D. Scott Brandt				  Technology Training Librarian
Associate Professor		 	    Purdue University Libraries
<techman at purdue.edu>	            <http://www.lib.purdue.edu/~techman>